A Woman's Life and Love
Frauenliebe und Leben
MUSIC BY ROBERT SCHUMANN, POETRY BY ALBERT VON CHAMISSO
- March 5, 2018
- May 20, 2018
- July 25, 2018
- July 28, 2018
- Bethany Mamola, Vocalist
- Agostina Migoni, Vocalist
- Daniel Lockert, Piano (California Performances)
- Raquel Ravaglioli, Violin (Texas Performances)
- Michael Drobycki, Viola (Texas Performances)
- Amy Pirtle, Cello (Texas Performances)
Traditionally, this set of Lied is presented in a concert setting by one singer and a pianist. However, in our installment of the work, two sopranos will sing the set, taking turns singing the eight numbers and occasionally singing on a couple of them together. We have changed the way this work has traditionally been presented in order to accent special moment's in the story of this woman's life. We have staged this work with minimal props and simple clothing to give the audience a more honest presence of the character.
What we’ve accomplished:
By staging the set of songs, we have created a visual element to the piece that is normally not presented.
By splitting the songs up for two soprano's and utilizing their different timbres, we have been able to accent the chiaroscuro* in the music and poetry.
* chiaroscuro is a painting and drawing technique that is used to contrast the light/dark colors and shadows in a piece of art.
By performing this work in intimate, smaller settings, the audience is able to notice the nuances on stage and connect more easily with the story.